In 1858 James Taylor Ross, a Scotchman, migrated to the South, acquired land and homesteaded in what is now Shades Valley. He provided land for the construction of a railway, including a bridge spanning Ross Creek. After the Ross family moved westward, his property was purchased in 1907 by TCI, a predecessor of U.S. Steel. In 2002, U.S. Steel, Daniel Corp. and the Retirement Systems of Ala. combined to develop the new home community of Ross Bridge.
The history of Ross Bridge is memorialized on a marker located at 33° 23.148′ N, 86° 52.014′ W in Hoover, Alabama, in Jefferson County. The marker is on Ross Bridge Parkway 2.7 miles north of State Highway 150, on the left when traveling north.
The historical landmark bridge spanning Ross Creek — Ross Bridge — is accessible via one of the many miles of paved trails throughout the community and is the new home to the Ross Bridge Park, a beautiful sanctuary to be explored by the whole family.